How Does It Work?
The Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan was launched in 1970 in response to demand from the members of Chambers of Commerce and Boards of Trade across Canada. Today, the plan insures over 35,000 businesses and 100,000 owners & employees nationwide, providing small and medium-sized businesses the protection of a comprehensive group benefits plan usually reserved for much larger firms. Learn more about the history and administration of the Chambers Plan here.
All Chamber Members are eligible to participate!
Not yet a Chamber Member? Learn more about the Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce.
Looking for an employee benefits plan that’s simple to manage? Spend less time administering your benefits program with:
- Chambers Plan’s exclusive advisor support
- Quick set-up
- Easy-to-use forms
- 48-hour claim processing
- Simple administration
Concerned about rising group insurance premiums? Then you need a pooled program from the Chambers Plan. Rates are based on the average of claims from thousands of similar firms, keeping premiums manageable and predictable and providing stability year after year.
Don’t add to someone else’s profit. The Chambers Plan is a not-for-profit program—all surpluses stay in the Plan and help lower premiums.
Give your employees more for less. Health and Dental premiums are a deductible business expense and a TAX FREE benefit for your employees.
What does the Chambers Plan Offer?
Extended Health Care Benefits - Dental Coverage - Critical Illness Coverage - Employee Assistance Program - Disability Coverage - Life/AD&D Coverage - Business Overhead Expense Coverage - Group Retirement Solution
The public healthcare system is designed to provide Ontario families with basic healthcare coverage. Extended Health Care Benefits are designed to fill in the gaps. The Chambers Plan will cover members and dependants with up to 100 percent of any eligible costs. Common examples of coverages include prescription drugs, vision care, paramedic services, medical equipment/supplies, and emergency travel insurance.
Prescription Drug Coverage
The cost of prescription drugs can be a major expense for many Thunder Bay area families. The Chambers Plan provides affordable, convenient, and comprehensive coverage as part of the drug plan. Many of our clients are impressed with the plan’s TELUS Assure pay direct card, providing instant funds at the pharmacy without the need to wait for claim payments.
The plan also keeps current with the TELUS Health National Formulary – this is an ever-evolving list of prescription drugs, ensuring you are always being treated with the most effective, cost-effective, high-quality drugs.
Paramedical Practitioner Services
Paramedical practitioner services are covered by the plan at the usual and customary rate. Maximum coverages will vary per person per type of service and coverage option in a full calendar year.
The plan will cover services including:
- Podiatrists and Chiropodists
- Massage Therapists
- Licensed Speech Therapists
- Licensed Clinical Psychologists
- Clinical Dieticians
Medical Supplies and Equipment
A strong benefits insurance plan must provide protection in all health-related circumstances. The Chambers Plan includes:
- Emergency ground or ambulance to the nearest hospital
- Coverage for hearing aids and installation – up to $700 per person
- Up to $25,000 per person towards home nursing needs
Emergency Travel Insurance
Travel with the peace of mind that comes from knowing you’re protected around the world. Emergency travel insurance for all employees and dependents is included in every plan. The benefit provides coverage for all eligible expenses related to medical emergency treatment outside of the member’s home country. In addition, you will also be provided with telephone translation services, emergency medical funding and evacuation, after-hospital care, returning dependent children to their home, trip interruption, and return vehicle allowance.
The Chambers Plan will provide $200 of annual vision care benefits per individual enrolled in the plan. There are various extended vision care insurance options available and one of our advisors will be more than happy to explain them. There is also separate coverage included for eye exams for all levels of coverage.
The Chambers Plan offers dental coverages to all plan members including basic, endodontic, and periodontal dental procedures. Major dental procedures are available for members who are part of a firm with three or more covered employees, Orthodontic coverage is available to firms with ten or more employees.
We will work with you to design a dental plan that suits the unique needs of your employees. Each plan is designed to help with the cost of both preventative and emergency dental care. Payments for dental claims are usually processed within 48 hours. The Chamber Plan’s online platform allows members the ability to track, review and manage their own dental claims with only a few clicks.
Your plan will include the following basic dental coverages:
- Check-up visits and detailed dental exams
- Scaling, polishing and Fluoride
- Dental x-rays, periapical films and panoramic film
- Fissure and pit sealants
- Minor restorations that may include fillings and prefab crowns
- Oral surgery – The removal of erupted or impacted teeth or residual roots, any needed anesthesia
Endodontic and Periodontal Procedures
- Root canal therapeutics
- Gum treatments
Major Dental Coverage
- Crowns and onlays, dentures and bridges
- Denture relining and rebasing, the repair of dentures or bridgework
Orthodontic Dental Coverage
- Orthodontic exams, casts, x-rays
- Braces and retainers for any children under the age of 17
Your health is your most important resource. A critical illness can dramatically impact your life and your ability to earn an income and provide for your family. This type of situation is stressful for anyone and it’s a sad reality for many workers. Critical illness insurance is designed to provide you and your family with the funds needed to meet your ongoing financial demands. This will not only protect your family from financial hardships, but it will also allow you to focus on your health and recovery.
The Chambers Critical Illness benefit has various options and does not require any medical underwriting. The following conditions will provide a lump sum payment of up to $50,000:
- Aortic Surgery
- Aplastic Anemia
- Bacterial Meningitis
- Benign Brain Tumour
- Coronary Bypass
- Heart Attack
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Kidney Failure
- Loss of Independent Existence
- Loss of Limbs
- Loss of Speech
- Major Organ Failure (on Waiting List)
- Major Organ Transplant
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Occupational HIV
- Parkinson’s Disease
You know firsthand how important your employees are to the success of your company. The Chamber Plan’s Employee Assistance Program is designed to help your staff deal with issues before they become serious and result in absenteeism or disability claims.
The Employee Assistance Program will help with:
- Limiting and managing your employee absenteeism
- Reducing the funds spent on healthcare and disability costs
- Improve overall job performance, morale, and absenteeism
- Improve your turnover rate and the costs that come with it
Life can be stressful, and the Employee Assistance Program will help your staff deal with life challenges head-on, allowing them to have a positive impact on both their professional and personal lives. When needed, the benefit will provide access to one-on-one counselling with a psychosocial professional.
Comprehensive Protection: Short Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance
Disability insurance is designed to provide financial protection in the event of an injury or illness that impairs one’s ability to earn an income. Typically, the benefit will provide either short term or long-term funds to cover treatment costs and pay for necessities during the recovery period.
Short-Term Disability Insurance (Weekly Indemnity)
Every business has their own needs and budgets when it comes to their benefits plan. You will determine the amount of time an employee must be unable to work before receiving their short-term disability benefit, you will also decide the length of time for the coverage. For employees under the age of 65, short-term disability will provide two-thirds of their total earnings to a maximum level of $1,200 weekly.
Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
The goal of long-term disability coverage is to help an employee during their recovery by providing much needed funds towards treatment and maintaining their current lifestyle. The long-term disability benefit will provide the following:
- Up to $7,000 monthly
- Guaranteed coverage to groups with 3 or more employees (non-evidence limits vary based on firm size)
- Benefits pay for two years, five years, or until they reach the age 65
The Group Chambers Plan is designed to provide coverage to your employee’s family in the event of their death. Again, this benefit is scalable based on your needs and budget, employees will pay their premiums via payroll deductions. The Chambers life insurance plan provides the following:
- Coverage up to $300,000
- Living benefit provision included in every Chambers policy
- Access to guaranteed coverage for organizations with three or more employees
This benefit provides funds in the event of a death of an employee’s spouse or dependent children.
- Benefits in the event of spousal death range from $5,000 to $15,000
- Benefits in the event of a dependent child’s death will be 50% of the spousal amount
Plan members can opt to add optional life coverage, providing more money in the event of a death with group rates. Employees can top up their life insurance with up to $500,000 in optional insurance. This is completely up to the individual employee and does not come with increased cost for your firm.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
Safety is a priority for any business, but unfortunately tragic accidents can happen. Included in your Chambers Plan is AD&D coverage, this benefit provides employees and their families funds in the event of a death, paralysis, loss of a limb, speech, sight or hearing due to an accident. Every AD&D insurance policy will include the following:
- An additional payment equal to the Life insurance benefit in the event of an accidental death
- A percentage of the principal sum for other losses
- Additional benefits such as spousal occupation training, rehabilitation benefits and workplace modification
- Rehabilitation Benefits – Up to $15,000 to receive training for a new occupation
- Spousal Educational Benefit – Up to $15,000 for any training necessary to become qualified for employment in a new occupation
- Daycare Benefit – Up to $5,000 per year for up to four consecutive years
- Dependent Child Educational Benefit – Up to $10,000 per school year for each dependent child enrolled in post-secondary education
Not only will a sudden illness or injury have tragic implications on a small business owner’s loved one, it will have a negative impact on the day-to-day operations of your company. The Business Overhead Expense benefit is designed to help self-employed with financial support in the event of a death or sudden injury. BOE insurance covers your fixed expenses while you are recovering, or in the event of your death. The following events are covered by the Business Overhead Expense Benefit:
- Mortgage or rent
- Utilities / Phones
- Taxes and licenses
- Equipment costs
- Corporate car leases
- Professional services (e.g. bookkeeping)
- Salaries for personnel who do not generate revenue and whose duties are vital for business operations
As an employer, you care about your employees and their eventual retirement. The Chambers Plan can help your staff plan with a group retirement savings plan that works. The plan is straightforward and is quick and easy to manage. The Chambers Plan's website allows you the ability to submit contributions and have access to some excellent tools and resources.
Many firms have found that offering a retirement plan improves workplace morale and help attract and retain staff. The group retirement plan includes the following:
- Very affordable fees when compared to those charged by individual mutual funds or banks
- Your employees will see instant tax savings with a group RRSP. They will have contributions deductible from their gross pay, which mean they only pay tax on the reduced amount
- Simple and convenient allow access to the tools and resources to manage your plan